...Our favorite workout playlist here.
An important part of our health and wellness is our sleep patterns and making sure we get 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Even if I eat healthy, exercise and am thinking positively about life, if I did not get more than 7 hours of sleep the night before, I can absolutely see and feel a difference. My skin doesn’t look as bright and my mood…well, lets just say it’s not great!
Fun fact: Beauty sleep is a real thing! Cell turnover is 8 times faster while sleeping. New skin cells grow and repair old ones, making sleep a time for repair and restoration. So important if you want that young-looking, ageless skin.
We all have those restless nights. We’re just not tired, we would do anything to get those sleepy eyes, the task we have at work the next day has us anxiously looking at the clock counting the amount of hours of sleep we will get…not enough!
…Just before bedtime, give yourself 15 minutes to practice at least one of these yoga poses. Focus on slowing down your breath to a 1:2 ratio (simple form of Pranayama in Yoga philosophy). Count to 4 as you inhale, then count to 8 as you exhale.
5 Yoga Bedtime Poses
1. Viparita Karani (Legs Up On The Wall Pose)
2. Baddha Konosana (Seated Butterfly)
3. Supta Baddha Konoasana (Seated Reclining Butterfly)
4. Halasana (Plow Pose)
5. Uttanasana (Standing Forward Fold)
- Lavender - Research shows that the scent of lavender reduces stress, insomnia and promotes better sleep.
- Food - Avoid eating 2 hours before bedtime, with the exception of decaffeinated tea.
- Music - I love listening to Brian Eno right before bedtime. I also use a lot of his music during Savasana in my classes.
. . .
I hope this helped or helps you when you are encountering one of the restless nights. I do this often and it really helps. Even doing one of the poses will make a difference. Makes you want to stop doing the pose and head straight to bed!
Sleep well. ♥